My view

Welcome to 'Bird's Eye View'!

When I was 18 my father handed me a Nikon and told me to get in the car. We drove through sleepy little Iowa towns and down winding gravel roads. He started me on what will be a life long journey of seeing the world through the lens of my camera.

To me photography is an art. The art of capturing a moment or a natural expression is what I love to do. I will give you direction and then find your personality within that pose.

What I see through my lens is no different than what you see every day - the only difference is I have the ability to stop time and provide you with those memories.

Contact me at katie (dot) reints (at) gmail (dot) com to inquire about a session.

...or find me on facebook!

Bird's Eye View Photography by Katie Reints


Welcome them home

Welcome them home
There was an error in this gadget

Monday, March 21, 2011

Project 365: Day 80 Life

Today was a beautiful early spring day here in Iowa. (Almost) to good to be true even.

I took cue from the weather man's prediction of thunderstorms the next two days and got to work cleaning out my Hosta beds. One thing that was left with the house was a legacy of flower beds and rock gardens.


 In fact, it is very evident that someone put a lot of love and time and care into the gardens. Rocks that were hand picked and placed that have no right being in Iowa lay surrounded by cactus (That I have been pulling out one by one... very carefully). Boulders of all shapes and sizes moved into place -- plants now overgrown show glimmers of what it once would have looked like.


However since 2008 the house was left sitting empty and the plants to fend for themselves. Last year we had much more pressing things to do to the house -- like electrical and plumbing-- kitchen and bathrooms to install. So the exterior of the home including the flower beds and rock gardens were left for another year. 


So here we are-- another year later. I do not have a green thumb per say, but I can clean out a hosta bed. I filled three huge contractor trash bags with yard waste, broken glass, trash of all sorts, shingles, siding, nails and any number of unrecognizable items no doubt thrown there by mother nature's fury. 

It is hard to believe that anything could grow up around all the trash I took out of those beds!  


But sure enough, there they were as I swept away the old. Brand new signs of life. I love spring.


Sweet Shot Day

9 comments:

Kimberly said...

That's so great to have new life showing when it would seem impossible for anything to grow! My flower bed needs some TLC also. Except I don't know what are weeds and what are future flowers. So I think I'll just wait. :)

texwisgirl said...

I bet those flower beds are breathing a sigh of relief to have someone tending them and loving them once again... :)

Janet said...

Ah, I love the freshness of spring. Enjoy tending your new beds.

Anne U said...

Poor little plants, but they look pretty tough.

Marla said...

Awesome. I am so jealous of your little baby flowers. :)

Marla @ www.blueskiesphotoblog.com

Danelle said...

I really like that blur thing you did in the third photo. I'm sure "blur thing" is not the technical name for it. :) And I don't think I've mentioned that I really love your new blog header.

frecklesandfences said...

It really is amazing where life can grow. For me, it's in the cracks of the sidewalk but not on my lawn. And weeds in my "flower bed" but not the lawn. Or pretty much anywhere except my lawn. Can you tell I'm without a green thumb? Loved your shots. Maybe I'll just live vicariously through you.

Ocean Soul said...

Amen to spring! And to great photos!

misc.alaina said...

How fun to discover new things as the season progresses!! We have been in our house for three years, so I am not surprised by our yard anymore!